Grow pineapples for cash
Growing pineapples is easy if you get the basics right. A few things you should know about pineapple plants:
- Pineapples don’t need much water. They have very tough leaves so they don’t lose much water through evaporation. They can get by on very little.
- Pineapples don’t need much soil or high-quality soil. They belong to the family of bromeliads, and like all bromeliads they do not have a big root system.
- Pineapples get a lot of their water and nutrition through their leaves.
- Pineapples like slightly acidic soils, which is what most gardens have anyway.
- Pineapples grow in full sun, even in the hottest climates, but they also do well in dappled shade.
- Pineapples grow very happily in pots or tubs.
- What pineapples do not like is soggy, waterlogged soils, having their leaves burned with concentrated fertilisers, frost.